You spent hours at the table devouring every last bite of turkey and ham. The meats were delicious and the leftovers must be used. I’ve shared with you our Ham Croquetas recipe that is perfect for the leftover ham like Hormel® Cure 81®. That same recipe can be easily be tweaked to make turkey croquetas.
Store your leftover ham or turkey in the fridge for 3-4 days max. If you’ll be making your croquetas later than that, store the leftovers in the freezer. Be sure that they are wrapped well so nothing gets freezer burned.
The croquetas “dough” can also be frozen. Do everything but fry them. Store them wrapped in plastic wrap in the freezer.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon diced onion
- 1 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine
- 2 cups of ground turkey (place leftover in food processor)
- 2 eggs - lightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs or cracker meal
- 1. In a medium sized frying pan, melt butter.
- 2. Add diced onions and cook for a few minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix the milk, flour, salt & pepper.
- 4. Lower heat to low and add milk mixture slowly, stirring constantly.
- 5. Continue until the cream sauce has halved in amount.
- 6. Remove pan from heat and add wine & turkey.
- 7. Mix well.
- 8. Remove mixture from pan and allow to come to room temperature, then put in refrigerator for a few hours.
- 9. Prepare a shallow bowl with the egg and another with the bread crumbs.
- 10. Remove mixture from fridge and begin forming the croquetas.
- 11. Dip each croqueta in egg then bread crumb. Repeat.
- 12. Place on a plate and allow breaded croquetas to reach room temperature.
- 13. Fry croquetas in pan until they are golden brown.
- 14. Enjoy! Serve with a slice lime!
As a Hormel Extended Family Blogger I am provided with product samples to facilitate my content creation. No additional compensation is provided. All opinions are my own.
This is absolutely a great idea for leftover hams, though its the first time for me to hear about croquetas. 😉