A Breakfast Sandwich is a Mom’s Weekday Treat
Kids in school means mom has more time. Not always. It may just be 5 extra minutes before the tasks of the days, (laundry, beds, dinner) take over. One of my favorite parts of my day is breakfast. There are great breakfast spots in Miami, as I’ve shared in the past. But, a busy mom doesn’t always have time for a “sit down” breakfast. Making a breakfast sandwich at home is even better!
I love breakfast. It’s the most important meal of the day. For me, it’s not just because I’m hungry, it’s because Monday-Friday I can figure out a way to sit quietly and eat my breakfast. Yes, the 16 month old is still at my knee, but I can usually grab a few minutes to quietly to eat. Sometimes it means waiting until 9:30 to eat while she’s napping!
In the interest of time but not sacrificing flavor, health and desire, I have found a way of enjoying a freshly made egg breakfast sandwich a day or two a week. My secret is using real bacon bits, the Hormel Black Label Bacon Bits. These bite size bits are the real things but without the need to take the time to cook the bacon.
Here’s how I make it:
- In a small fry pan, I heat up a tablespoon of bacon bits. This releases the flavor of the bacon.
- In a small bowl, I lightly whisk one egg and a tablespoon milk.
- I lower the heat of the fry pan to medium-low and then slowly pour in the egg mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, I slowly stir the egg and bacon.
- I love cheese, so I dice up a slice of cheese and toss it into the pan.
- Within a few minutes the omelet is done.
- I carefully take it out of the pan and put it on a toasted whole grain of bread.
- I spray the pan with cooking spray and put the sandwich in the pan and add a dollop of salsa.
- I let the bread get a bit crispy and then remove it and serve it on my plate.
- I eat my delicious breakfast sandwich!
Looking for even more creativity? Here are some of Hormel’s best breakfast recipes – no breakfast sandwiches but other tasty creations!! I’m certain that they will satisfy the tummy any day of the week!
- Hormel Canadian Bacon Breakfast Pizza: combining chopped Hormel® Canadian style bacon, your favorite cheeses, mushrooms and other veggies of your choice, kids will love this fun dish that allows them to eat pizza first thing in the morning!
- Ham Scramble: this simple recipe encourages you to sprinkle Hormel® Cure 81® diced ham in with scrambled eggs and serve over English Muffins. Perfect for a hurried morning, this recipe can be prepared in less than 15 minutes!
- Huveos Rancheros with Bacon: Add a little bit of ethnic flair to your breakfast with this dish that features CHI-CHI’S® thick & chunky salsa mild and Hormel® Natural Choice® original bacon. As a reminder, all Hormel® Natural Choice® products contain no preservatives, no added nitrates or nitrites, and no artificial colors or flavors!
Do you take the time to make a breakfast sandwich, like a bacon and egg one for yourself? What are your tips & tricks?
Please note that I am currently a member of the Hormel Foods Extended Blogger Program and this post is part of my involvement in the Group. While Hormel Foods provides me material and necessary resources to complete various activities, all statements and sentiments stated are my own.