Roasted Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash the Garden Vegetable
Regardless the time of year, shoppers can find butternut squash at the food market. It’s displayed near the potatoes and adjacent to others in the squash family. A mature butternut squash will be approximately 2 to 3 lbs. After peeling and seeding, your squash will lose 2-3 oz of weight.
Many grow butternut squash in their edible garden. Others, rely on the food market or farm stands for this nutritious vegetable. Some stores, such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, sell the squash peeled and cubed. This makes butternut squash soup prep time much easier.
Using Butternut Squash in Cooking
I share my favorite Roasted Butternut Squash Soup recipe below. You’ll need to try the delicious Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce that I’ve shared. The root flavors of the squash mesh well with the pasta. I often serve the dairy-free sauce atop spaghetti squash when I am following Whole30 or trying to avoid carbs.
Preparing Your Butternut Squash
Please be careful when cutting this large winter squash. I find that the grip mats that you can place below a cutting board help stabilize the board when you are cutting. Also, if you are having trouble cutting the squash, poke holes in it with a knife. Then place it in the microwave for a few minutes. This will soften it up enough to cut it. Be careful.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 8 cloves garlic
- 24 ounces butternut squash cubes roasted, steamed or microwaved until fork tender
- 1 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons chili powder depending on how hot you’d like it
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- fresh chives as garnish
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil in a large bowl. Arrange coated squash on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven until squash is tender and lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, cook down the onions. Heat a large pot on medium and cook the onions in your butter/oil until translucent. Add in the garlic cloves and cubed butternut squash. Cook for another 4-5 minutes until your entire kitchen begins to smell.
- Add in the canned coconut milk, broth and spices. Cook on medium until the soup comes to a low boil. Then, lower the heat so the soup is simmering for another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Blend the soup in a high-speed blender or with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Adjust the salt and pepper according to your taste preferences. Serve warm with chives.
Too Busy to Grocery Shop
Use services like InstaCart or Shipt for easy and affordable grocery delivery. Also check out the different grocery shopping apps that I often use to save and earn money when I shop.
I love Butternut Squash soup but I have never tried it with coconut milk and most of these other ingredients. I just bookmarked your page for when I will try it next weekend! I does look yummy and I can hardly wait to try it.
Thanks a lot for sharing. Have a super blessed weekend!
Super! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
The weather here is starting to heat up but I think I will make an exception and cook one more warming soup! Thanks for the recipe! #sitssharefest
Great! Hope you do enjoy it!