Bowties with Eggplant and Portobellos is a fantastic vegetarian pasta dish, ideally using organic ingredients for the best taste. I made this last night and it was DELICIOUS! It’s a fairly easy recipe. It would make a great dish for a dinner party! It’s super colorful and plates well! Let me know what you think.
Bowties with Eggplant and Portobellos
Author: Caroline Murphy
Recipe type: Main
Colorful vegetarian pasta dish!
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 medium eggplants, peeled and cubed, about 2-3 cups
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps, cubed
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried leaf basil
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, or 3 to 4 fresh peeled diced tomatoes
- 1 box of bow tie pasta
- 1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine eggplant, mushrooms, vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, oregano, basil, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Mix thoroughly and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, peel garlic and place in foil.
- Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Wrap foil and roast in oven.
- Allow garlic to roast for 40 minutes, taking foil out of the oven shaking it around every minutes.
- Remove garlic from oven and set aside.
- Leave oven on for eggplant.
- Place eggplant mixture and the marinade in a baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated 400° oven for 30 minutes.
- Stir every 5 to 6 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before eggplant is done, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet.
- Add tomatoes and roasted garlic.
- Sauté for 5 minutes.
- At the same time, cook pasta in a pot of boiling water, following package instructions.
- Drain and divide cooked pasta on 4 serving plates.
- Cover pasta with roasted eggplant.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover cheese with equal portions of the hot tomato and garlic sauce mixture and sprinkle each portion with parsley.
- Serve right away with Parmesan cheese.
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by SmartyPantsMama. SmartyPantsMama said: Here's the super yummy dish I made last night! You must make it!! So good! http://bit.ly/9t6zMJ […]
What a great blog…How do you get the icons at the top?
This is such a fun party and I have already met some of the greatest bloggers… I am amazed at all the different and creative blogs. Stop by for a visit…just leave a comment on any of the last few posts on either blog and you are eligible for the GRAND PRIZE $100 GIFT BASKET!
Your ingredients list does not show the mushrooms! Please advise what amount you used or recommend.
Thanks in advance!
Thank you for letting me know! I’ve updated the recipe – and even put it in a printable format!