Pinch me or Kiss me because I married Irish! I’m a Murphy! A nice big slice of Irish Soda Bread is necessary St. Patrick’s Day or any other day you’re in the mood for delicious bread!
In our home we go all out with a dinner of corned beef, cabbage and potatoes with big slices of Irish Soda Bread to nibble on throughout the day. I also made some fantastic green popcorn too!
What is Irish Soda Bread?
Irish Soda Bread is a yeast-free bread, that uses baking soda as the rising agent. It is typically very dry and engulfed by raisins or currants. There are loads of variations throughout Ireland and many countries have their take on this bread
Irish Soda Bread Recipe
This year I opted for Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, as she has never failed me. Her recipe is very simple and delicious. I made 2 changes, which I highlight below.
Homemade Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for currants (I USED 1/2 Whole Wheat Flour and 1/2 All-Purpose Flour)
- 4tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 3/4 cups cold buttermilk, shaken
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup dried currants -I USED BLACK RAISINS
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is mixed into the flour.
- With a fork, lightly beat the buttermilk, egg, and orange zest together in a measuring cup. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture.
- Combine the currants with 1 tablespoon of flour and mix into the dough. It will be very wet.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and knead it a few times into a round loaf. Place the loaf on the prepared sheet pan and lightly cut an X into the top of the bread with a serrated knife.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. When you tap the loaf, it will have a hollow sound.
- Cool on a baking rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Be sure to check out the Ina Garten Cookbooks available on Amazon. I have tried an Ina recipe that I haven’t enjoyed.
What’s your Irish Soda Bread recipe? Care to share?