Make Chicken Taco Tortilla Soup during National Soup Month! It’s delicious and simple!
A warm bowl of soup – just the thought of it during chilly January sounds so comforting. Are you a soup person? I am and I love learning new soup recipes!
Hormel recently shared their Chicken Taco Tortilla Soup recipe. It’s a pantry soup, so nearly all the ingredients might already be in your pantry, making dinner prep simple for a Smart Mama. But, don’t limit yourself to the pantry. You may have one or more of the ingredients in a fresher form in your fridge, counter or garden. Swap out one or more pantry ingredient with the fresh alternative if you can.
The recipe is printed on the Chi-Chi’s Flour Tortillas wrapper and found online here. I’ve rewritten it below noting the fresh alternative in green when possible.
- 4 6-inch tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16-ounce) jar mild salsa or 1 lb of tomatoes chopped
- 3 Herb-Ox® Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package CHI-CHI’S® Taco Seasoning Mix or homemade taco mix (see my personal taco seasoning recipe here)
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Hormel® Chunk Breast of Chicken, drained and flaked or 20 ounces of diced chicken (good use of leftover rotisserie)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11-ounce) can whole kernel corn with red and green bell peppers, drained or fresh corn shucked and peppers chopped
Instructions below directly from Hormel.com.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Place tortilla strips on baking sheet; lightly coat strips with cooking spray. Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, stir together water, salsa, bouillon and taco seasoning over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, beans and corn to saucepan. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until soup is hot and flavors are blended. Ladle into warm bowls; top with tortilla crisps. Garnish with sour cream, if desired.
So on those days when the windy is blowing too hard or snow is piling up, pull out this Chicken Taco Tortilla Soup recipe, open up your pantry and get ready to warm up the toes and hearts.
This post was made through my role as a Hormel Extended Family Blogger. Food items were provided to make recipe.