#SmartMamaLUTION #2: DIY an Ornament Box Out of a Shirt Box
To be more organized is a common New Year’s resolution. Organization is a key component to Smart Mama-hood! Let’s take on this #SmartMamaLUTION by creating an inexpensive organizational container for the Christmas ornaments that will inevitably be put away within the next 10 days.
This ornament box was inspired by a beautiful ornament box I saw in a recent Ballard Designs catalog. I fell in love with the concept but not with the price. Even at Target, a similar ornament box runs for about $20. I knew that there had to be a way to store the ornaments in such an organized manner as seen in both the catalog and in the store, but at a much more affordable, smarter price.
To make the shirt box ornament box you’ll need:
- 2 shirt boxes. These boxes are typically on clearance this time of year. The heavier/stronger the box the better. One box will be the container and the other will be cut up to create the grid dividers.
- Calculator or a good math brain
- Measure the length & width of your box. Mine was approx.11”x17”
- Determine the number of columns & rows of squares space that you will want. For mine, 6 squares by 4 squares, making a total of 24 worked best.
- Cut ½ a shirt box across lengthwise into 4 equal strips.
- Cut ½ a shirt box widthwise into 6 equal strips
- Measure and mark the long strips and cut half way.
- Measure and mark the short strip and cut half way.
- Insert the strips together to make the grid. Begin with the middle one, then place the grid into the shirt box and insert the remaining strips.
- Carefully place your ornaments.
- Lay newspaper on the bottom of the box and more on top to help secure the ornaments.
- Bend back strips as needed to fit longer ornaments.
- Remember the box is fragile so consider writing that all over the box.
Make it! This box, assuming your calculations are close enough should take under 10 minutes! Your tree will also be on its way to being put away! Take a photo or two of your shirt box and write a quick blog post about how you did SmartMamaLUTION #2: DIY an Ornament Box Out of a Shirt Box! You are invited to include a link to your post using the LINKY below. If you do not maintain a blog, I welcome you to share a comment below about your ornament box!
- Join the conversation at our community page http://TheBlogFrog.com/SmartMamaLUTION
- Return tomorrow for SmartMamaLUTION #3: Cleaning Your Microwave WITHOUT Chemicals, Please!
Will see how I adopt this one over the weekend. Our tradition is to leave our tree up until Los Reyes Magos. Also, most of my ornaments are wooden pieces of various shapes and sizes. Let’s see what I can come up with…
Understandable! I hope I sparked the idea to use a shirt box other than the traditional way!
You did! =)
[…] tomorrow for SmartMamaLUTION #2: DIY Ornament Box […]