Will you be serving ham this weekend? What will you do with the inevitable leftover ham? Yes, ham sandwiches are always satisfying, but in this house we love to make croquetas de jamón, ham croquettes.
Croquetas are a common finger food with latins in South Florida. You find trays of croquetas at every birthday party and event. They sell for between 50¢ – $1.00 a piece at bakeries and grocery stores. But, families often forget how easy making croquetas can be. Leftover ham is common no matter where you live. With just two thick slices of leftover ham you can make this Cuban finger food in no time!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon diced onion
- 1 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine
- 2 cups of ground ham (place leftover in food processor)
- 2 eggs - lightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs or cracker meal
- 1. In a medium sized frying pan, melt butter.
- 2. Add diced onions and cook for a few minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix the milk, flour, salt & pepper.
- 4. Lower heat to low and add milk mixture slowly, stirring constantly.
- 5. Continue until the cream sauce has halved in amount.
- 6. Remove pan from heat and add wine & ham.
- 7. Mix well.
- 8. Remove mixture from pan and allow to come to room temperature, then put in refrigerator for a few hours.
- 9. Prepare a shallow bowl with the egg and another with the bread crumbs.
- 10. Remove mixture from fridge and begin forming the croquetas.
- 11. Dip each croqueta in egg then bread crumb. Repeat.
- 12. Place on a plate and allow breaded croquetas to reach room temperature.
- 13. Fry croquetas in pan until they are golden brown.
- 14. Enjoy! Serve with a slice lime!
- This recipe can be adapted with different meats - chicken, pork, ground beef, fish...
This is a great recipe to do with the kids. My little chef Isabella, age 6 1/2, loves pulsing on the food processor (to grind the ham) and rolling, dipping and breading the croquetas. The most difficult part was the waiting for the “dough” to chill or return to return to room temperature! Croquetas also freeze well!
The next time you have some leftover ham try make cuban croquetas! They are easy and tasty! Be sure to bookmark or print out this recipe!
This post was made through my role as a Hormel Extended Family Blogger. Coupons were provided to purchase item for recipe. All opinions and experiences are my own!