This simple & delicious London Broil recipe will be a repeat meal in your home. Recipe adapted from: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moms_pan-fried_london_broil_steak/
- 2 lb top round cut of steak
- Dry mustard
- Butter, softened to room temperature
- Remove steak from refrigerator 2 hours before cooking to bring to room temperature (only do this with whole cuts of meat, never with ground meat.)
- Cut away any tough connective tissue on the surface of the steak. Use a meat pounder to even out the thickness of the steak if necessary. [Smarty Pants COOKING Tip] I didn’t pound or cut away any tissue.
- Heat a large, cast iron skillet to medium high heat.
- Rub dry mustard into both sides of the steak. Add salt and freshly ground pepper. Rub soft butter over both sides of the steak.
- Place the steak in the hot pan. Let cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, check before flipping to make sure it has nicely browned. [Smarty Pants COOKING Tip] I didn't have a cast iron skillet so I just used an ordinary large skillet.
- If you have a steak thicker than an inch-thick, you can finish it off in the oven, at 325°F for 15 minutes or so. Use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature of the steak. Pull it out of the oven at 130°F for medium rare (the steak will continue to rise in temperature for a few minutes after you pull it out). If you are using the oven method, when done, remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting into it. You want to cook the steak only to medium rare, as cooking it further will make it more tough. [Smarty Pants COOKING Tip] I did the remaining baking in a 9×13 dish. Our inch & a half or so steak needed about 25 minutes in the oven.
- Slice the steak thinly, against the grain.
Recipe by Smarty Pants Mama at http://smartypantsmama.com/smart-food-the-easiest-yummiest-london-broil/