Cuban Black Beans Recipe
An easy and delicious dish!
Find more great recipes at smartypantsmama.com!
- 1 lb of dried black beans
- 10 cups of cold water
- 2 green peppers
- 2/3 cups of olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of dry white wine
- Rinse beans in tap water. Place rinsed bean in large pot with the 10 cups of cold water. Quarter 1 green pepper and place in pot. Soak overnight.
- In the same pot, bring water to a slow boil. Allow to cook for 45 minutes to soften the beans. Pour olive oil in a warmed fry pan.
- Saute diced onion, minced garlic and remaining chopped green pepper.
- Take about 1 cup of black beans and pour into fry pan. Mash the beans well. Pour mashed bean mixture back into the pot.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, bay leaf and sugar. Allow to simmer for approximately 1 hour. Add vinegar and wine and continue to simmer at a low heat for at least 1 more hour.
- If beans are very watery, keep pot uncovered. Enjoy!
I serve it with a bit of rice. Many like to squeeze a bit of lemon atop the beans before eating. I like to, my husband doesn't.
Recipe by Smarty Pants Mama at http://smartypantsmama.com/free-for-me-friday-yummy-cuban-black-beans/