Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 8 cloves garlic
- 24 ounces butternut squash cubes roasted, steamed or microwaved until fork tender
- 1 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons chili powder depending on how hot you'd like it
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- fresh chives as garnish
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil in a large bowl. Arrange coated squash on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven until squash is tender and lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, cook down the onions. Heat a large pot on medium and cook the onions in your butter/oil until translucent. Add in the garlic cloves and cubed butternut squash. Cook for another 4-5 minutes until your entire kitchen begins to smell.
- Add in the canned coconut milk, broth and spices. Cook on medium until the soup comes to a low boil. Then, lower the heat so the soup is simmering for another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Blend the soup in a high-speed blender or with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Adjust the salt and pepper according to your taste preferences. Serve warm with chives.
Recipe by Smarty Pants Mama at http://smartypantsmama.com/butternut-squash-soup-recipe/