Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce Recipe
A great alternate to traditional marinara sauce. Use this Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce atop traditional spaghetti or for those following Paleo or Whole30, use it with spaghetti squash or a potato.
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 Tablespoons garlic, minced or chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 cup broth (chicken or vegetable)
- Handful uncooked spaghetti or pasta
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cut the butternut squash in half and brush 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the flesh part (not the skin).
- Roast the butternut squash for 25-40 minutes, until slightly browned and an inserted skewer goes through the squash with little effort.
- Scoop the butternut squash out of the skin and place in a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and herbs.
- Sauté until the onion is translucent, then add 1 1/2 cups of the squash and stir well.
- Thin the solution out with broth and allow it to come to a boil.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the butternut squash mixture.
- Stir in the cooked & drained spaghetti and stir to coat with the butternut squash sauce.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Smarty Pants Mama at http://smartypantsmama.com/butternut-squash-pasta-sauce-recipe/